Access to technology is essential for the successful roll out of this plan. FEH BOCES has been committed to ongoing planning and implementation of technologies to ensure equitable access for staff and students. The team has initiated plans that are mindful of student home access to reliable internet and computers.
- FEH BOCES recently worked with representatives from the Northeastern Regional Information Center (NERIC) to gather data from the region’s teachers and families to identify their level of access to devices and high-speed broadband from their residence. FEH BOCES will continue to work with NERIC to assess the ongoing needs of our families for technology and connectivity (survey, interviews, school outreach, etc.) In the event, students and/or teachers do not have access, FEH BOCES will take the necessary steps to meet their needs where plausible.
- FEH BOCES will conduct and/or maintain an inventory of equipment and other assets.
- FEH BOCES will procure, manage and/or maintain hardware, software, licenses, learning management systems, etc. to support and improve virtual instruction and student engagement.
- FEH BOCES will identify professional learning needs for teachers and continue to support their development of skills and pedagogy in a virtual learning environment.
- FEH BOCES will arrange a “Helpdesk” system for parents/students/teachers to report technical issues that might be experienced during remote learning. Communicate protocols to these stakeholders to inform them in advance of how to gain assistance in such cases.
FEH BOCES will provide all students with access to learning materials and resources in multiple formats, wherever possible. Further, FEH BOCES will support teachers through professional development and coaching on pedagogical methods that enable students to participate in multiple ways, so that they can demonstrate mastery of Learning Standards in remote or blended models through the use of both synchronous (i.e. Google Meet or other web conferencing tool) and asynchronous technologies (i.e. Google Classroom or other LMS). In the event students do not have sufficient access to devices and/or high-speed internet, FEH BOCES will provide the students with alternate methods to access materials and instruction (i.e. pick up materials at school, drop off materials to students’ homes, etc.).
FEH BOCES will also schedule opportunities to connect with families to educate them on how to use the technologies and connect to the instructional activities.